- To be a premier Institute of Excellence for training and research on disaster risk mitigation and management in India and to be recognized as one of the leading Institutions at the International level in the field.
- To strive relentlessly towards making a disaster free India by developing and promoting a culture of prevention and preparedness at all levels,
- To work as a think tank for the Government by providing assistance in policy formulation and;
- To facilitate in reducing the impact of disasters through:
- Planning and promoting training and capacity building services including strategic learning.
- Research, documentation and development of national level information base.
- System development and expertise promotion for effective disaster preparedness and mitigation.
- Promoting awareness and enhancing knowledge and skills of all stakeholders.
- Strengthening institutional mechanisms for training and capacity building of all stakeholders.
- Networking and facilitating exchange of information, experience and expertise.
To build a national hub to share and learn and to create a critical mass of institutions, trainers and trained professionals.
- To undertake quality research covering both natural and human induced disasters, with a multi-hazard approach
- To work as a National Resource Center for the central and state governments in the country through effective knowledge management and sharing of best practices
- To professionalise disaster risk reduction and emergency management in India and other neighboring countries by developing an independent cadre of professionally trained emergency and mitigation managers.
- To promote formal training and education for disaster management in India and in the region
- To build working partnerships with the Government, universities, NGOs, corporate bodies and other national and international Institutes of eminence.
- To link learning and action by building a synergy between institutions and professionals in the sector.